Museum Mariano "Virgen del Castillo"

 
The project for the construction of the “Virgen del Castillo” Mariano Museum was submitted in 1986 to the competent bodies and authorities in order to obtain the relevant administrative authorisations to carry out the works, which consisted of a thorough remodelling of the existing building attached to the Sanctuary of the Castle, where the image of the Immaculate Conception remains throughout the year, except during the days when the Patron Saint’s Festivities of Yecla are held in her honour, when it is transferred to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, where it remains for approximately two weeks.

The museum is rectangular in shape and has a surface area of 374.48 m2. The foundation work began in 1995 and continued in 1997 until its completion in 1998. It was inaugurated on May 8, 1999, with an investment of 50,000,000 pesetas (about 300,000 €), which was financed by the Yecla City Council and the Regional Ministries of Culture and Territorial Policy of the Autonomous Community of Murcia.

The original building was the Ermita Santuario del Cerro del Castillo, known as the Casa del ermitaño (Hermit’s House), built between 1740 and 1742 and underwent major renovations in 1819 and 1880-1882. It also served as convent accommodation for the Franciscan Fathers.

Currently, on the first floor is the entrance to the Museum, the Meeting Room and the caretaker’s living quarters, with a semi-basement for the Marian library or Mariological studies. At the back there is a room used to exhibit the float of the Virgin used in the Patron Saint’s Festivities. It also has other rooms such as the machine room, storeroom, storeroom, toilets, vestibule, museum control and alarm equipment.

On the first floor is the Museum of the Fiestas de la Virgen itself. The room is L-shaped, located in a central cloister, illuminated by natural light through glazed bands that communicate with the shrine of the Virgin in the Sanctuary of the Castle. In this room you can see costumes, flags, banners, harquebuses, pictorial works and in general numerous objects related to the festivities in honour of the Immaculate Conception, Patron Saint of Yecla, which are held every year from the 5th to the 8th of December.

The main function of the Museum is that of a cultural centre especially dedicated to the exhibition of works related to the Virgin Mary and the Festivities that Yecla celebrates in her honour. Here the most endearing and valuable works of the ancestors of Yecla who had a relationship with these festivities are exhibited.

Construction of the Museum Mariano “Virgen del Castillo”

The project for the construction of the “Virgen del Castillo” Mariano Museum was submitted in 1986 to the competent bodies and authorities in order to obtain the relevant administrative authorisations to carry out the works, which consisted of a thorough remodelling of the existing building attached to the Sanctuary of the Castle, where the image of the Immaculate Conception remains throughout the year, except during the days when the Patron Saint’s Festivities of Yecla are held in her honour, when it is transferred to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, where it remains for approximately two weeks.

The Museum

he museum is rectangular in shape and has a surface area of 374.48 m2. The foundation work began in 1995 and continued in 1997 until its completion in 1998. It was inaugurated on May 8, 1999, with an investment of 50,000,000 pesetas (about 300,000 €), which was financed by the Yecla City Council and the Regional Ministries of Culture and Territorial Policy of the Autonomous Community of Murcia.

The original building was the Ermita Santuario del Cerro del Castillo, known as the Casa del ermitaño (Hermit’s House), built between 1740 and 1742 and underwent major renovations in 1819 and 1880-1882. It also served as convent accommodation for the Franciscan Fathers.

Currently, on the first floor is the entrance to the Museum, the Meeting Room and the caretaker’s living quarters, with a semi-basement for the Marian library or Mariological studies. At the back there is a room used to exhibit the float of the Virgin used in the Patron Saint’s Festivities. It also has other rooms such as the machine room, storeroom, storeroom, toilets, vestibule, museum control and alarm equipment.

On the first floor is the Museum of the Fiestas de la Virgen itself. The room is L-shaped, located in a central cloister, illuminated by natural light through glazed bands that communicate with the shrine of the Virgin in the Sanctuary of the Castle. In this room you can see costumes, flags, banners, harquebuses, pictorial works and in general numerous objects related to the festivities in honour of the Immaculate Conception, Patron Saint of Yecla, which are held every year from the 5th to the 8th of December.

The main function of the Museum is that of a cultural centre especially dedicated to the exhibition of works related to the Virgin Mary and the Festivities that Yecla celebrates in her honour. Here the most endearing and valuable works of the ancestors of Yecla who had a relationship with these festivities are exhibited.